The internet has made it easier than ever to start a business. The bar of entry for new entrepreneurs has become so low that direct-to-consumer (D2C) brands have seemingly sprouted out of nowhere. With the number of potential customers out there, it makes sense. According to DigitalCommerce360, e-commerce sales reached $3.46 billion in 2019. The caveat to this is that the market and retail space has become overly saturated. With between 12 to 24 million e-commerce stores globally, it has become very difficult to stand out and make a dent in the market. Enter: Shopify.
Shopify is a platform that allows D2C brands to easily create an online store and sell products directly to customers. The setup process is a breeze, and with over $135 billion generated by Shopify customers, it only makes sense why people use the platform. Shopify also offers additional e-commerce platform integrations, or Shopify apps, that help D2C brands with everything from inventory management to potential product partnerships to marketing efforts.
The Best Shopify Apps for Online Marketing
The tools available in the Shopify app store are endless. But for the sake of time, let’s go over some of the best Shopify apps available for D2C brands looking to advertise online.
The customer journey isn’t as linear as it once was. As technology has evolved and as customers have become more sophisticated, it’s now more difficult for D2C brands to keep visitors on their websites and to implement highly-effective countermeasures to prevent abandoned carts. But, many e-commerce brands are utilizing tools and tactics, such as exit-intent popups and emails, to persuade potential customers before they walk out the doors.
According to Moosend’s internal numbers, 45% of cart abandonment emails were opened (almost double the industry average for regular marketing emails). Additionally, Sumo found that the average conversion rate for exit-intent popups was 3.09%, which is higher than Mailchimp’s average click-through rate (CTR) of 2.69%. In short, these tools work; that’s why Privy has one of the best Shopify apps around.
With minimal setup needed (no coding skills required!), Privy’s integration with Shopify allows D2C brands to utilize a variety of functions and tactics that draw customers back to purchase. Some of the things this tool enables D2C brands to do are:
- Create custom and mobile-friendly design callouts. D2C brands can utilize exit-intent popups, email collection forms (e.g., subscribing to a newsletter or receiving the first-purchase discount), announcement bars, spin-the-wheel popups, and more.
- Leverage triggered email sequences. Launch automated email campaigns that respond to how a website visitor engages with your brand, no matter whether they leave a product in their shopping cart, sign up for a newsletter, or complete a purchase.
- Sync emails from other platforms. Privy’s partnership with over 50 marketing platforms, including Mailchimp, Conversio, and AdRoll, helps facilitate better communication and more cohesive experiences for customers.
Consumers have the luxury of options. Whether it’s comparing prices on Amazon or looking for used products on eBay, people are always on the lookout for the best deal. Out of all the aspects that are considered before the purchasing decision, reviews carry the most weight. According to BrightLocal’s consumer survey, most shoppers spend five to fifteen minutes going through reviews, and the average person reads ten reviews before making a purchase. Reviews offer a unique opportunity for marketing teams that are prioritizing the customer experience; the better the experience, the better the review.
Yotpo has taken this concept and built their business around it. The platform helps D2C brands leverage reviews and repurpose them for ad campaigns. With the Yotpo Shopify app, brands can:
- Capture customer reviews. The integration makes it easier for e-commerce retailers to collect photos, ratings, and reviews from customers.
- Repurpose user-generated content for ads. No copywriter, no problem. D2C brands can use customer pictures and reviews for ad campaigns across multiple channels.
In today’s marketplace, D2C brands are always looking to stay steps ahead of customers and competitors. That means optimizing experiences, perfecting messaging, and acting on proven strategies. Marketers have either been forced to make assumptions based on demographic and over-generalized information or pay large sums of money to have research done on their customers, which typically takes a long time.
There is something that goes beyond fundamental segmentation methodology and surface-level insights: psychometrics. Psychometrics leverages AI to dive deeper into personal attributes and attitudes that influence buyer behavior. Pinpoint Predictive utilizes psychometrics to help brands create more personalized experiences for customers that produce better results across the board. With Pinpoint Predictive’s Shopify app, D2C brands can:
- Segment their audiences more effectively. The integration analyzes purchase patterns and customer engagement to create audience segments that show the highest intent to purchase.
- Produce more impactful creative. Brands get academically-reviewed ad creative recommendations, including specifics like colors and words, that are sure to resonate with target audiences.
For more on how to win at Shopify, check out the AdRoll app for Shopify today.
Since joining AdRoll in 2017, Giulianno has regularly produced content that explores how professionals can improve their digital marketing strategies and emerging industry trends. When he's not working, you can find him at Golden Gate Park training for his next marathon.